Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chalkey's Escape from Pallet Take 2, Part 1

For brevity, I'm skipping the trashy teen emo ranting style of my last session of posts.

Well, my first run failed miserably after my entire team was wiped out trying to catch Snorlax. I had already missed my chance to get the first one as I had already caught a Doduo in that route, so I didn't want to mess this one up. And when my Farfetch'd died, I thought "Well, I'm a man down. Now I have to go for it." This infinite regress of a thought led to the eventual wiping out of my entire team.

So I started a new game. Same version: LeafGreen. And, as last time, I'm nicknaming all of my pokémon after old friends and ex girlfriends (named in chronological order of having met/dated them respectively). Originally, this was meant to add sentiment and incentive not to kill various characters, although I was surprisingly unsympathetic when certain female pokémon died. I also don't actually release like the Nuzlocke demands, but rather put them in a PC box by themselves that's labeled "DEAD." It gets hard seeing that box fill up.

RBY days are given a bit more of a challenge with Dark and Steel movesets and trainers being more bitchtastic. It also strikes me as far more hax-induced during my Nuzlocke challenge, but maybe that's just bad luck; in both my first run and this one, Weedle was the most feared enemy of the entire game. Weedle's Poison Sting plagued my entire team, at a very compromising point - the very center of the forest. And, with so little HP early on, running backwards to the Pokécenter was a high risk high reward endeavor. At one point I made the judgement call that it may be faster to run forwards, leaving me with a very close call of 2 HP on my starter come Pewter City. You would think I'd learn to carry Antidotes, but not so much.

I've made a bit of progress the last few days, though. This time, I didn't spend two hours getting lost in Rock Tunnel, which sped my catchup a bit. Koga was a royal pain in the ass - two self-destructing Koffing and a Muk and Weezing that were higher levels than all of my characters. All of them spammed Toxic and Minimize, while Koga kept them alive with Hyper Potions and Full Heals. I had to sacrifice the Diglett I named after Ari for a free switch to pull off the win.

I could have trained my Eevee more, but when I found the EXP Share it came at the cost of a pokédex of 50. Since Nuzlocke's randomness is not very conducive to pokédex expansion, I reached this point with a pokédex number of 9. Fuck you, Professor Oak's Aide.

Captain's Log:
Time: 5:00 (five hours) [edited from previously logged as 6:00 - this was incorrect]
Pokédex: 16
Badges: 6
Lineup:
-Fat Blasta the Blastoise, level 40
-JBlox the Pidgeot, level 37
-Jeps the Jolteon, level 38
-Mikey the Snorlax, level 30
-Liz the Doduo, level 24

Casualties:
-Dick Eater the Spearow
-Mr. Nido the Nidoran M (in-game trade)
-Steph the Pidgey
-Ari the Diglett
-Shannon the Pidgey
Total dead for the cause: 5

2 comments:

  1. aw, I liked the style you had before. it was amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, DAMN you run fast. Not do Silph Co. yet? and probably turned off battle animations...

    ReplyDelete