Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chalkey's Escape from Pallet Take 2, Part 2

There comes advantages and disadvantages to attempting the Nuzlocke with FireRed/Leafgreen, most of which come from assuming you know everything just because you played RBY. Aforementioned advantages come from when you're right in this assumption, and disadvantages come from the opposite. But, so it goes.

I skipped Saffron City initially because I couldn't for the life of me remember how to get inside; in RBY, you just had to buy a lemonade, soda or freshwater for the guards, but in FRLG you have to actually find Tea somewhere. I had no recollection of this, and spent forever trying to cram the damn fresh water down the thirsty guard's throat.

I also forgot entirely that, exclusive to FRLG, Bill the Pokémaniac kidnaps you and takes you to the Sevii Islands. I might have had an option to skip this, but I was skimming through the text pretty fast in the interest of time. When I was young, I was a big fan of Pojo, which chronicled a guy playing Gold for the first time with a rate of eight badges in eight days. My goal for every game since then has always been eight badges in eight days, or eight hours if I've played that version before. Sometimes, like in this case, my goal is its own worst enemy, as I skipped right over whatever option I had to skip this detour to the first three Sevii Islands. I didn't catch anything there, but I did kill a lot of Fearow and Raticates.

But it wasn't all bad. My prior knowledge came in handy as I pulled off finishing Silph Co's Rocket bust in a personal record of seven minutes total. I also took it as a moment of personal pride to annihilate Blue's Pidgeot with my own Pidgeot (part of my nostalgic pet projects at work - this was always very important to me as a kid). I completely ignored the guy that gives me Lapras, knowing that I could only take one of either Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan or Lapras under Nuzlocke rules (as all of Saffron City counts as one area). I'll just decide later, I guess.

Captain's Log:
Time: 6:21 (six hours, twenty one minutes)
Pokédex: 16
Badges: 6
Lineup:
-Fat Blasta the Blastoise, level 43
-JBlox the Pidgeot, level 40
-Jeps the Jolteon, level 40
-Mikey the Snorlax, level 30
-Liz the Doduo, level 24

Casualties:
-Dick Eater the Spearow
-Mr. Nido the Nidoran M (in-game trade)
-Steph the Pidgey
-Ari the Diglett
-Shannon the Pidgey
Total dead for the cause: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment